Metallurgical Lab Services
Using state-of-the-art equipment, National Kwikmetal Services on-site Metallurgists perform metallurgical testing in our in-house Metallurgical Lab. NKS Metallurgists are problem solvers, always ready to consult with customers on challenges they face when choosing the proper stainless steel or aluminum. Using ASTM testing standards, National Kwikmetal Services Metallurgists will determine the chemical and mechanical properties required to ensure clients receive the appropriate grade of stainless steel or aluminum for their applications. Testing is performed to the following ASTM specifications. Testing limits are noted below where appropriate.
- Tensile - ASTM E8: Test includes tensile, yield and elongation (specify test direction). Thickness range annealed and tempered - 0.010” to 0.187”.
- Rockwell Hardness Testing - ASTM E18:
- Rockwell B and C and Rockwell Superficial T and N scales. Test includes average of 3 reading - conversions per ASTM E140. Thickness minimum annealed and tempered - 0.012".
- Bend - ASTM E290:
- Testing conducted with the bend parallel or perpendicular to rolling direction (specify test direction). 180 Degree bend thickness maximum (annealed 0.187", tempered 0.050").
- Surface Finish Testing - ASME B46.1:
- Ra, Rz, Rq - Please specify test direction. No thickness restrictions - sample must be flat.
- Analysis is performed using optical emission spectroscopy (OES). Complete analysis to ASTM reporting requirements including C & N. Thickness minimum 0.012".
- Chemistry (200, 300 & 400 series stainless steels) Per ASTM A751 and ASTM E1086.
- Chemistry (1000, 2000, 3000, 5000, 6000 and 7000 series aluminum) per ASTM E716 and ASTM E1251.